The International Community School of Addis Ababa serves the educational needs of the international community in Addis Ababa. ICS Addis accepts students who can be successful in the regular academic program. ICS does not discriminate on the basis of religion, ethnic or national origin or gender in its admissions and educational policies. Admission is based upon completed application forms, previous school records and results from previous or current academic testing as required by ICS staff to determine:
- the potential of the applicant to benefit from the educational services available
- the capacity of the school to meet the educational needs of the applicant and
- the ability of the school to meet the behavioral or emotional needs of the applicant
Students are admitted to ICS according to the following priority system, conditional on having met the admissions criteria:
Applicants to early childhood in the first three categories of the Admissions Priority Guidelines will be accepted by the guidelines, in order of receipt of the completed application requirements. All other applications (category 4) will be considered after 30 November for the following school year. Wait-listed students will be prioritized according to the Admissions Priority Guidelines. Wait-listed students who temporarily attend another school in Addis until a space is available at ICS Addis are still considered international applicants. If a wait-listed student is offered a space, the space must be taken immediately or within a reasonable period of time without a loss of revenue, at ICS's discretion.
Students moving to Ethiopia from outside the country are considered international applicants. A rolling admissions policy applies to international applicants, and applications are considered in order of receipt of all required admissions materials. International applicants who meet our admissions criteria will be admitted on a space-available basis. In circumstances where space is not available, international applicants will be placed on a wait list. Wait-listed students will be prioritized according to the Admissions Priority Guidelines. Wait-listed students who temporarily attend another school in Addis until a space is available at ICS Addis are still considered international applicants. If a wait-listed student is offered a space, the space must be taken immediately or within a reasonable period of time without a loss of revenue, at ICS's discretion.
Students already living in Ethiopia and attending a school in-country are considered transfer applicants. Transfer applicants are eligible to apply to ICS Addis for August enrollment. Transfer applicants to kindergarten through grade 12 are placed in a wait pool. Transfer applications received for the 2017-18 school year are considered after the following deadlines: 1 May 2017, 9 June 2017 and 21 August 2017.
Students applying to kindergarten who have either not yet attended school or who have been enrolled in another program in Ethiopia may be considered as International Applicants.
Final determination of a student’s status is decided by ICS Addis.
- Dependents of US Government direct-hire employees and dependents of eligible ICS faculty and staff.
- Siblings of current students and returning former ICS students.
- Dependents of ICS alumni/former students.
- All other applicants, who have submitted all admissions materials, with the following priority:
1. Applicants on the wait list for ICS from the previous school year.
2. Applicants coming from schools outside of Ethiopia (international applicants).
3. All other applicants, in order of receipt of admissions materials.
For the 2017-18 school year, ICS is developing a fee structure for English as an Additional Language (EAL), Speech and Occupational Therapy student support services. This structure will be available March 2017.