At ICS, we recognize that our students need to function and succeed in the global, networked modern world. We are committed to providing a variety of technology tools empowering students to create, collaborate and learn.
We believe that technology is a tool that should:
- enable students to learn in more active and individualized ways
- assist teachers in differentiating instruction and creating complex, rich learning experiences
- facilitate communication throughout the community
- help improve productivity and efficiency in the school offices and classrooms
We strive to provide a wide variety of tools to all members of the community and support the diversity of our campus. We have multiple computer platforms in school (Macintosh, Windows, Linux) and support a variety of computers and related hardware. We welcome school community members onto our network, and encourage responsible use of ICS facilities by all members of our community.
As the technology infrastructure of Ethiopia grows and expands, we look forward to similarly growing and expanding our network and connectivity to the rest of the world. It's an exciting time at ICS!
The technology program at ICS is designed to develop our student’s skills in using a wide variety of tools to learn, create, collaborate and contribute. We structure technology lessons to be integrated with other areas of the curriculum, and create learning opportunities for students that allow them to use their skills holistically.
- To see our responsible use policy, click HERE.
- To see our policy for Using the ICS network, click HERE.
- Parent information regarding student use and online safety click HERE.
Our technology program sets high standards for students. We have created our own standards based on the following:
- ISTE (International Society for Technology in Education) National Educational Technology Standards for Students,
- CSTA (Computer Science Teacher Association) K-12 Standards for Computer Science
- AASL (American Association of School Librarians) Standards for the 21st Century Learner
- Personal and Aesthetic Growth: Learners demonstrate skills, dispositions, responsibilities and self-assessment strategies.
- Computing Operations and Concepts: Learners demonstrate a sound understanding of technology concepts, systems and operations.
- Digital Citizenship: Learners demonstrate an understanding of human, cultural, and societal issues related to information, ideas and technology.
- Research and Information Fluency: Learners demonstrate the use of textual, visual, media, digital formats/tools to gather, evaluate and use information.
- Creativity and Innovation: Learners demonstrate creative thinking, construct knowledge, and develop innovative products and processes using technology.
- Communication and Collaboration: Learners demonstrate the use of digital media and environments to communicate, collaborate, support individual learning, and contribute to the learning of others.
- Computational Thinking and Problem Solving: Learners demonstrate understanding of computational thinking as a problem-solving process.
Students receive instruction in technology skills from PreK through to 12th grade, in both stand-alone classes and in their homeroom classes. Technology instruction is integrated with other subjects, so specific instructional times may vary from grade to grade and year to year, but the IT teachers and Technology Instruction Coaches at ICS track student skills and progress to ensure that students learn effective and advanced skills.
In addition, opportunities for students to learn after school and at home are continually being explored and promoted. After-school activities, independent study courses, and online distance learning activities are a part of our program as well as class instruction.
1:1 LAPTOP PROGRAM
One of the first of its kinds of programs in Africa, ICS's 1:1 laptop program puts into our students' hands the tools needed to be creative and collaborative students, effective communicators and critically-thinking netizens of our globalized, wired world.
At present, all students from grade 5 to grade 12 use a laptop computer in their learning, while students in grades 1 and 2 use a tablet in their learning. We will soon have a schoolwide 1:1 program, where every student will use a laptop or tablet in their education.
For more information download the following:
- Why Laptops?
- One to One Program FAQs
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PROGRAM
The elementary computer program at ICS begins in the EC3 level and goes all the way up to Grade 5.
Students in all elementary grades have scheduled time in the Elementary Computer Lab for lessons in computing. Students also use technology in their classrooms: tablets, laptops and desktop computers.
After-school activities include programming, robotics, Minecraft and more.
MIDDLE SCHOOL PROGRAM
In the Middle School, the use of technology is fully integrated into the academic subjects. Students use computers with their English, Math, Science or other classes. Subject area teachers work with the students and the IT Department to ensure that students learn and practice skills in using various hardware and software.
In addition, several Middle School elective Computing classes are offered:
- Computer Science
- Web development
HIGH SCHOOL PROGRAM
In all high school classes, academic subject teachers will require students to use computers to perform tasks specific to the subject. Teachers work with students and the IT department to ensure that students learn the skills they need to function effectively in a high-tech environment.
We currently offer two High School electives in Computing:
- Introduction to Programming: An beginners' computer programming course. Students learn to program in either Python or Processing (a version of Java).
- Applications Development: Students learn to create applications that can run on any operating system - for computers or mobile devices.
After-school activities include robotics and Hacker High School (an exploration of computer and network security). In addition, we have several student-led initiatives including a Month of Programming, a Mobile Phone Hackerspace, and more.
ICS boasts excellent technology facilities and we are constantly aiming to improve them. We have two dedicated technology labs: a computer lab for elementary classes, and a computer/robotics lab for secondary. Individual classrooms are all equipped with technology tools. All elementary classrooms have desktop computers as well as SmartBoards, document cameras, printers, etc. Secondary classrooms each have a projectors, and shared access to document cameras and networked printers. Some secondary classrooms have SmartBoards and we are expanding their use throughout the school.
All students from grade 5 through 12 use their own computer for school work (grades 5-8 are issued Windows 8.1 laptops, while grades 8-12 have the option of using a school-issued computer or bringing their own Windows or Macintosh computer). Students in grades 1 and 2 each have an iPad to use for school work. We are expanding this program to include all grade levels.
We have shared resources that are used throughout the school: several sets of laptops and iPads which classes can check out, as well as other resources (cameras, projectors, etc.) that can be checked out by teachers. Our campus-wide network gives all students and teachers access to the internet, and we have a dedicated guest network for parents and community members.